Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Know It Was You, Taylor. You Broke My Heart


Washington City Paper -- When Taylor Gourmet opened the first of its three Washington-area stores in November 2008, the advertising pitch was simple: The deli would sell Philadelphia-style sandwiches, named after Philadelphia streets, sandwiched between Philadelphia bread...

During a follow-up interview, (Owner Casey) Patten’s story changed significantly. I had pressed him for a ride on the bread-delivery van, to no avail. After several requests, Patten made a surprising admission: Taylor had stopped using Sarcone’s a few weeks earlier. He said capacity concerns forced him to switch to a Washington-area bakery as his business expanded. He declined to name his new supplier.

Typical. Chalk up yet another beloved DC institution that decides to take a shit on my heart. Let me first give you full disclosure: I fucking worship Taylor G...always have, always thought I would. Their Kelly Drive sandy is my go-to every time, no questions asked. In fact, I saw a little of myself in their story ever since I found out the owner and I share a lot in common. Both grew up 30 minutes from downtown Philly, both went to school in Delaware, both packed up and made the move down to the District.

But where he and I differ (besides the fact that he's a massive douche with a hipster mustache) is that I always considered this town to be my home away from home. I'm just counting down the days until I pimp myself back out to Philly for good. But this asshole has the fucking nerve to think he can pull a fast one on Uncle Terry?! Yeah fuggin right, bro.

You might think he did since they dropped the Sarcone's rolls back in September and it's now January, but the joke's on them...I haven't grubbed there since summer. They've already lost about 70% of their business over the past 5 months. Well good fucking luck trying to keep the rest of it now that this golden nugget has fallen from the gods.

Yeah, they'll still get the occasional dumbass tourist or local who thinks they're being trendy by eating an "authentic" Italian Market hoagie 2 hours removed from the source. But one thing I know is if you fuck over Philly, Philly's gonna do everything in its power to return the favor ten times as hard. So FUCK YOU Taylor G and your shitty wannabe sandwiches. I'm a born-again Subway man from here on out. At least they have the decency to tell me to my face that they're serving me shit on a Parmesan-Oregano footlong.

2 comments:

  1. This is disturbing to say the least. Come home and you can have the REAL THING any day you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They've already lost about 70% of their business over the past 5 months."

    Where did you hear this number?

    Taylor opened three locations in two years and are working on a forth in Virginia. I doubt their sales volume has tanked that dramatically, if not increased.

    ReplyDelete